Arizona’s early cotton ranching business helped shape what The Wigwam is today. When Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company discovered that cotton extended the life of its tires, the company bought 16,000 acres of Arizona land for cotton farming. In 1918, the company established the Organization House, the first building on the site, as lodging for ranch suppliers. After realizing that the building’s ideal location would be perfect for winter vacations, Goodyear opened The Wigwam on Thanksgiving Day in 1929. The guest ranch was able to hold 24 guests when it first opened and has grown steadily over the years. The first nine-hole golf course was added in 1930, with an expansion to 18 holes in 1941. A portion of the original structure still remains as part of The Wigwam.