Historic New Harmony Attractions
Located just behind the Red Geranium Restaurant, this peaceful pine grove was named for renowned Protestant theologian and philosopher, Paul Johannes Tillich. He was in attendance the day it was dedicated - June 2, 1963. Along the paths of Tillich Park are several large granite stones engraved with quotations from Tillich's writings, carved by letterer Ralph Beyer. At the north end of the pathway is a bronze bust of Tillich by sculptor James Rosati. It was placed in Tillich Park by the Robert Lee Blaffer Trust in 1967.
Just across the street from the New Harmony Inn stands the non-denominational Roofless Church, an architectural landmark and spiritual retreat designed by Philip Johnson and built in 1960. The area is surrounded by a twelve-foot wall, and features Ceremonial Gates by Jacques Lipchitz that open into a peaceful courtyard of gardens and sculptures. Under this dome is the bronze statue of The Descent of the Holy Spirit, also by Lipchitz. The church is open year-round to the public and is operated under the auspices of the Episcopal Diocese of Indianapolis. Its picturesque setting makes it a popular setting for weddings and other ceremonies.
New Harmony Labyrinths
Nurture the spirit by walking New Harmony's two labyrinths – including one of the oldest in North America. These sacred pathways help with meditation and relaxation, creating a sense of inner peace and calm.
Cathedral Labyrinth: Dedicated in 1997 by Francois Legaux, Canon of The Cathedral of Chartres, the rose granite unicoursal Labyrinth is a close replica of the 12th century example in the Medieval Cathedral. Aligned with the walls of the Harmonist Cemetery and Native American Burial Mounds, the garden’s plan also follows ancient sacred geometry used in the plan of the French Cathedral. An Orpheus Fountain by the eminent British Sculptor Simon Verity was placed and dedicated near the Wall of Harmonist and Woodland Indian Burial Site in 1998.
Harmonist Labyrinth: Located on Route 69 just south of town, the Harmonist Labyrinth was originally built around 1815. The maze was reconstructed between the years of 1939-41 on the site adjacent to the original Labyrinth, but not according to the original designer, which had a unicoursal, or single path. The hedges were planted according to a pattern established by the Harmony Society - a concentric circular design with only one path. A small stone building called a grotto is placed at the center, an authentic restoration of The Harmonist grotto. The labyrinth is open admission-free year round.