The first of Grandhotel Pupp buildings was the Saxony Hall, which was built by the order of then Lord Mayor Deiml in 1701. In doing so, the Mayor of Deiml laid out the base outline for later hotel constructions.
At the time when the glory of the Saxony Hall began to rise, another Lord Mayor, Mr. Andreas Becher, began to govern the Carlsbad town hall. He also owned a piece of the floodplain at the river bend and wanted to have his own called "Lusthaus," which is why he built it at a right angle to the Saxony Hall, approximately in the place of the current Mirror Hall and the Grandrestaurant Pupp. Right from the beginning, they began to call it Czech Hall, separating it from Deiml Hall.
In 1760,a native of Veltrusy Jan Jiří Pop came to Carlsbad, who previously worked as a confectioner to Count Rudolf Chotek. Here, he took a job with the local confectioner Mitterbach. In 1775, Pop married Mitterbach’s daughter, Františka, who bought one-third of the Czech Hall from the widow of Mayor Becher. In the following year, Františka bought the second third and in 1776, her husband, who by this time already called himself Johann Georg Pupp, bought the last third. In the same year, he also started his own business.
Throughout the 19th century, the business grew significantly and in 1890, the Pupp family, now represented by the brothers Anthony, Julius, and Heinrich, achieved the ownership of the original Saxony Hall. In this year, the family also formed a joint stock company. Six years later, the business was handed over to the Viennese architects Fellner and Helmer in order to transform the "Etablissement Pupp." The collection of individual buildings was eventually incorporated into the neo-baroque Grandhotel Pupp in 1907.
The climax of construction and modernization of the entire hotel occurred in 1922-23. Yet the biggest achievement was before the Second World War, when the Pupp family was finally able to buy the last of the required buildings, the so-called House of God’s Eye - today Café Pupp.
In 1951, the hotel was renamed to Grandhotel Moscow, but in 1989 returned back to its tradition and its original name, Grandhotel Pupp.
The hotel has starred in mainstream American movies. The James Bond movie ‘Casino Royale’ with Daniel Craig and the comedy ‘Last Holiday’ with Queen Latifah and Gérard Depardieu were both filmed at the Grandhotel Pupp.